Monday, October 11, 2010

Falltabulous Recipe: Apple Spice Bundt Cake

       For me vacation means coffee, eating, lounging, and a bit more coffee. In that particular order. And Fall lounging brings this to a whole new level. If you read about our trip to Graeagle, you saw that we spent our mornings in our cabin next to the fire with our coffee. I failed to mention that we were enjoying a delicious breakfast treat along with our caffeine fix. Before we headed out of town on friday and in the mood to celebrate fall's bounty, I whipped us up an Apple Spice Bundt Cake. I love breakfast breads, cakes and pastries and Fall is the perfect time to celebrate that love. The mornings in Graeagle were chilly, and this bundt cake pared with a fire was the perfect fix. 
After dicing up some apples, 
I combined them with my favorite seasonal spices. 
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Cloves.
Here's the beauty before I popped her into the oven to bake up. 
Oh, and yes...we ate the whole bundt cake in the span of two days. 
By ourselves. 
Oh, the guilt.
So get in your kitchen, 
and fix up your own Apple Spice goodness.
You won't regret it. 
This recipe was adapted from 
Uncle Bob's Fresh Apple Cake, found on Paula Deen's website.
I opted out of the glaze 
(I had intended to create a glaze of my own, but I I ran out of time),
 didn't include the nuts, and added a few extra spices. 
3 cups diced Granny Smith apples, about 2 apples
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs
Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a Bundt pan or tube pan.
In a bowl, mix together the apples, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Using an electric mixer beat the sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Add in the dry ingredients and beat until completely combined. Fold in the apple mixture.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Allow the cake to fully cool in the pan, about 1 hour, and then turn it out onto a plate.
Now, most importantly, light the fire, pour yourself a good cup of joe, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment