Monday, May 3, 2010

Project Nursery: It ain't no Automobile

       Last week was a long week here at the Milam house.  As part of his coursework Jon had a late-night shift at the Reno trauma hospital and I was dealing with a conference for 200 lawyers. The two of us are more then happy to go to bed at 8:00pm these days so that we can be up at bright and early at 5:30.  Saturday and Sunday passed us by with no days off in sight. I was working and he had school. Finally a little respite has come, and for me it comes in the form of dog walks, naps, and crafts.
      I finally got to finish my mobile for the nursery. It had been staring at me all week, begging for me to work on it, but I just couldn't muster the energy. I knew I wouldn't be happy if I didn't at least make an attempt at a homemade mobile. I had seen so many inspiring mobiles out there on blogs galore. So I just had to pick my poison, which turned out to be felt, and my design, which turned out to be modern and simple.      
      I was able to hand pick the felt colors, and I chose an array of yellows, greens, and blues to compliment the other colors of the nursery. And I ordered myself this very simple photo mobile from Amazon.com for a mere six dollars and change.
       Then it was craft time. I needed to cut circles, lots of circles, that I would put together to create my mobile adornments. I chose 3 different sizes for my circles and used things around the house to outline them. In walked our wine glass, a spool of thread, and a lid to a one of our spices. 

I traced the items on different colors of felt, so that I could then cut them out and start piecing them together.

And this is what I ended up with, lots of circles of various colors:


Next, I hot glued the circles together and then stitched two sets together. Leaving me with 10 sets of 2. 
And here's the finished product, fashioned over the little one's crib. 

       I'm happy with the outcome and hope that the little guy is entertained by his felt-mobile! The nursery is almost finished. I'm oh-so-close and I'm antsy to have it all done. Just a couple of more things to take care of before the full nursery reveal!

1 comment:

  1. I love the mobile!!! I tried to make one, too, but stupidly used long pieces of string. When I stepped back to look at my mockup, I realized it was a huge strangling hazard, dangling over my little girl's crib. So scrapped my idea. Still no mobile, but I really LOVE yours. Might have to steal the idea. I might have to call you for some tips. :)

    ReplyDelete