Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pregnancy: My Top Six List

      If you asked Jon, he would probably say that I hate being pregnant. He thinks that I look at myself in the mirror too often, that I complain about things not fitting, and did I mention that I look in the mirror too often. The truth is, is that I'm pretty content being pregnant. Thus far I've avoided back pain, swollen ankles, crazy cravings, sleep problems, and heart burn. I've experienced my symptoms here and there, but its been nothing that a little gingerale or a foot rub can't handle. 
        In the spirit of Lettermen, here are the top six things about pregnancy that I'll miss after baby's arrival (I couldn't narrow it down to five). 

1) The Sneeze and Pee- Yep, you guessed it. There's something going on in bladder land when you're pregnant and a sneeze is just enough to unleash the bladder bag. Even if you're at work or shopping for fabric, this is one big joke that your nose and your bladder have come up with to put a damper on your day. Literally. 
2) The "I'm pregnant, I can eat whatever I want" Card- I try to eat healthy about 90% of the time. Lots of fruit, yogurt, whole grains, peanut butter, eggs, etc. but the other 10% of the time, I like to whip out this ole' excuse. Chocolate is a new dear friend of mine. Baked goods? Yes, please! And sweet sugary candy, why not? And the best part... its all guilt free. Because, I'm pregnant, I can eat whatever I want.
3) Huffing and Puffing- Last summer I peaked at running for 2+ hours on my long weekend runs. My lungs are in a different arena this year. For the past 4 months, I lose my breath walking up stairs and during other random acts. Last night, the act of getting into bed left me winded for a second. At work, I have to stop in the hallway to catch myself before I can go on. And don't even try to get me to carry on a conversation while I walk upstairs. Thats asking A LOT. 
4) The Beer Belly Effect- Last night is a prime example. I put on a tank top before getting into bed. A tank top that I hadn't slipped on in a couple of months. And low and behold, half of my stomach was hanging out the bottom. There was a very evident strip of white flesh where my pants couldn't quite reach, and the tank couldn't quite handle.  Your left to feel slightly oversized. Big people, Little clothes? This effect has also made getting dressed every day quite easy. With only a handful of options that actually fit, there is very little debating over the perfect combination every morning. 
5) Courtesy- People do not want to see a pregnant woman lift a thing. Gallon of milk? Let me help you with that. Dropped your pen? Oh, I'll get it. Handling events, this is a wonderful little perk. No one wants to see me budge a table, lift a chair, or carry a tray. Apparently, no one wants to be the person standing there while I go into premature labor. Oddly enough this doesn't include my husband.  
6) Foot Rubs- Now perhaps this is common place in other households, but in our household this little beauty has mainly been reserved for pregnancy. I'm not saying that Jon wouldn't extend a rub or two before baby, but clearly he feels it's his new fatherly obligation when my feet are feeling battered and bruised. Something about "its the least he can do"- considering I'll be facing agonizing pain in the beautiful little process that is called "childbirth."
       This list may grow and evolve as I'm just now on the home stretch, but these have been the highlights thus far. In the near future I may be adding "Sleeping in a Tent While 8 Months Pregnant" and "Realizing that You Outweigh Your Husband" to the list. Both of which may be just around the corner for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment