Monday, April 25, 2011

What have we gotten ourselves into?

       Yeah, that's what I'm thinking right about now. When I received a text from a friend more then a month ago about joining a team for the "Tough Mudder" race,  I think excitement got the best of me. My sense of logic was nowhere to be found. Needless to say, we signed up that evening. And now, the competitor in me won't let me quit (although the wimp in me would like to).  Jon and I are on a team with a few friends, a few friends of friends, and my brother! It's a big race that operates internationally and seems to have a reputation that proceeds it. 
Something about the logo makes me a bit nervous. 
       This is how the event is described: The Tough Mudder series was created because there is not an event in America that tests toughness, fitness, strength, stamina and mental grit all in one place and all in one day. Sure, there are a few that will test these things – for thousands of dollars and a week of your life. But in one day in one location? We don’t think so. Other mud runs like the Muddy Buddy series? Forget it – unless you want to run alongside your 60-year-old grandmother. Tough Mudder is a truly exceptional event for truly exceptional people. Fair weather runners should stay at home. I especially like the part about the 60-year-old grandmother.
       The event is more about challenging groups to work as a team and build camaraderie, then "winning" per se. After checking out the roster of other teams that have signed up we seem to be competing against lots fire departments, police departments, Crossfit Gym teams, Fraternity's, etc. We, are a group of friends. Friends with babies and kids. 
       Every location features a different course. Ours is taking place at Squaw Valley, which happens to be a mountain featuring a 2,000 ft elevation gain and lots of terrain. The course starts in the valley at 6,000 ft and is estimated to take about 2.5 hours. 
Courses involve things like this. 
This.
This. 
(Those are electric wires that you have to run through, 
and it's one of the obstacles we'll be treated to.)
This.
This.
Oh, and this.
This.
And this.
Get the gist?
       I haven't been to the gym since July 9th, 2010. Pretty odd that I know the exact date but it was two days before I went into labor and delivered Nolan, so it's easy for me to remember.  My arms are weak, my legs are weak, I'm weak. I've squeaked in just a few runs since I've become a mommy, so my endurance is also, let's say, weak. We are almost exactly 5 months away from the race (that's September 18th for you folks trying to do the math), so we still have a bit of time to get serious. Last week, I went on a slow 3-4 mile run and it left me tired and feeling dehydrated. Reason to be concerned? I think so. 
***Photos courtesy of google.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. I love that we're a group of "friends with babies and kids." Go, us!!

    P.S. It's 2,500' of elevation gain, not just a measly 2,000. Just thought I'd clarify. :)

    I, being twice as dumb as you, also signed up for the Reno Tahoe Odyssey, and that little 24-hour event is coming up in 40 days. Every time the team captain sends out a countdown email I get woozy and a little faint.

    (Oh, and I bet it'll take our little team more than 2.5 hours to complete... I'm hoping I can hack it out in 3.5.)

    ReplyDelete