Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Tortoise and the Hare

       It all started with a little 15 month old boy that was not yet walking. When we were mulling over Halloween costumes (and we have an ongoing list for future years), we were taking his love of crawling and lack of walking into consideration. So that my friends is how we arrived at the Tortoise (our slow and steady) and the Hare (insert Blue with a frown). 
After a few nap times spent cutting and hot gluing, our Nolan became a Tortoise
(here he is charging up with a graham cracker snack before we hit the town).
My poor hare didn't turn out quite as successful. 
In the end he had rabbit ears and a carrot around his neck.
When Blue's cheapo rabbit costume arrived in the mail, 
I discovered it was far too small
(Blue literally stood like this a dozen times for me while I tried to
re-piece it together to fit him).
Apparently I should have gone with the extra large. 
This Velcro was suppose to be reaching around under his belly.
So began my troubles with trying to salvage his costume.
The week of Halloween, 
Nolan surprised us and officially became a toddler.
So our tortoise was of the walking kind.

He walked, and walked, and walked.
Every once and a while, 
our turtle still needed a little lift from his dad.
It made for an amazing night for us
because it was the first time that he really got out cruising.
We strolled our downtown for some trick-o-treating, 
and we had a great family night at home.


We EVEN managed a family picture.
I love my tortoise and my hare,
but next year I am determined to make Blue
(be it with duct tape, staples or what have you)
a costume that he can wear all night. 

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog after searching for first birthday ideas on Pinterest. I just adore these costumes and your little Nolan is such a cutie. My little guy just started walking and it is all that he wants to do! Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete